- 1 lb. beef hearts, trimmed of sinew and silverskin
- 8 dried Puya chiles or 4 dried California chiles, wiped clean
- 4 Chiles de Arbol
- 2 Tablespoons annatto seeds
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup Pinot Noir Wine Vinegar
- 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Remove stems from chiles and shake out and discard seeds. In a small saucepan, cover chiles with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Drain and discard water.
- In a food processor, combine dried chiles, annatto seeds, garlic, cumin, Pinot Noir Wine Vinegar and jalapeño. Puree 1-2 minutes until thick and smooth.
- Add the Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil and blend again until well incorporated.
- Cut beef hearts into strips, 2 x 1/4 inch size. Place in a bowl and pour the chile mixture over them and toss to coat them with the mixture.
- Cover, refrigerate and marinate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat broiler or grill. Thread 4-5 pieces of beef heart on a bamboo skewer. Grill until seared on all sides, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, while still hot.