- 1/2 lb. bacon, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium fennel bulb, halved and then diced into 1/2 pieces
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Fused Fennel Olive Oil
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 30 baguette slices, brushed with Fused Fennel Olive Oil and toasted
- Toast the baguette slices under broiler. Watch carefully to assure they don't burn.
- Heat a large skillet and when warm, add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 4 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Leave about 1-1/2 Tablespoons bacon fat in the skillet. Add 1-1/2 Tablespoons Fused Fennel Olive Oil.
- Add the diced onion to the skillet and cook on moderate heat until softened. Add the diced apple, fennel, thyme and garlic. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until softened.
- Add the fennel seeds and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and fennel fronds.
- Remove chutney from the heat, season with salt and pepper and let cool to room temperature.
- Discard the thyme, stir in bacon and serve the chutney on toasted baguette slices.