Including 60 minutes for dough chilling, 100-110 minutes
- For the Crust
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see NOTE)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 5 Tablespoons Hojiblanca Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
- For the Filling
- 8 oz. lean ground beef
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch bonnet chile pepper, or to taste (see NOTE)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs (see NOTE)
- 1/4 cup water
- !/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, 1 teaspoon turmeric, 3/4 teaspoon salt and baking powder.
- Cut butter into small pieces and quickly rub them into the dry ingredients with your fingers until smaller but still visible pieces remain. Add Hojiblanca EVOO and toss with a fork to combine. In a small bowl, whisk the water and egg yolk together. Add to the flour mixture and stir until the dough begins to come together. Knead in the bowl a few times until it forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook ground beef, scallions and chile pepper in a medium skillet over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, break up the beef and cook until the beef is thoroughly cooked, about 4-6 minutes. Then stir in the breadcrumbs, water, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well and cool.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. On a well-floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 6-inch circle about 3/8 inch thick. Trim the edges to make an even circle. Put about 1/4 cup filling on half of the dough, leaving about a 1/4-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling to make a half-moon shape and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Bake the patties until golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.
- Tightly wrapped dough may be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 6 months.
- Patties can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 3 months. Reheat in 400 degree oven.
- Whole wheat pastry flour has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods.
- Ian's Panko breadcrumbs, a coarse dry whole wheat breadcrumb mixture, works well in this recipe. Look in the natural foods section of your grocery or in a natural foods store.
- Scotch bonnet peppers are one of the hottest peppers. They can be red, orange, or green and are used extensively throughout the Caribbean. Discard the membrane and seeds to control the heat. Habaneros can be substituted if you can't find Scotch bonnet chile peppers.
- Be sure to wash your hands after handling and don't rub your eyes.