- 4-1/4 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon citric acid powder (optional)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons Arbequina EVOO
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup butter, divided
- With a whisk, mix the milk and eggs thoroughly. Stir in the salt and sugar and mix well. Lastly, add the baking soda and the (optional) citric acid powder.
- Blend in the flour. Add the Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil and pour in the boiling water, stirring thoroughly. The batter will be very thin. Set the bowl aside and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Melt a Tablespoon of butter in a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Take the pan off the heat and pour in about 1/4 cup of batter while tilting the pan so the batter fills the bottom of the pan. The blinchiki will be very thin.
- Return the pan to the heat and cook for about 90 seconds. Flip the blinchiki over and cook the other side for about 60 seconds.
- Place the blinchiki on a plate. To keep the crepes from sticking to each other, use a piece of wax paper between the crepes. Cover and keep warm with a towel.
- Continue making crepes until batter is used up. Add additional butter to frying pan as needed.
- Place a small amount of either sweet or savory filling in the center of the blinchiki and fold 2 times to make a triangle or fold up all the sides to make a small burrito looking crepe. Or, if you choose to do so, filling can be served to the side or atop the blinchiki.