- 1 Tablespoon California Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 lb. boneless short ribs
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 12 oz. bottle lager, such as Negro Modelo
- 3 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- Shredded cheddar, for garnish
- Sliced jalapeño, for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the California Garlic Olive Oil over medium heat.
- Rub short ribs with cumin, 1 Tablespoon chili powder, the oregano and season with salt. Add to pot and sear 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, jalapeño, garlic powder and the remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder to the pot and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir about 1 minute, then add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, beer, and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Slice the short ribs into small pieces and add to pot. Cook until beef is cooked through and chili has thickened, about 60 minutes.
- Serve chili with cheddar cheese and jalapeños.