- 1-1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice or to taste
- Grated or shaved Parmesan (optional)
- Flaky sea salt
- 1/2 lb. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons Butter Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. broccoli, separated into small florets, stems peeled and chopped
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the Butter Olive Oil and any remaining Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil to the skillet. Add onions and garlic, black and red peppers, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook the mixture until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large soup pot, along with the potatoes, 1 qt. of water and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, cover pot, and cook until potato is just tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a big bowl and repeat with more broccoli and more oil. When all the broccoli has been browned on one side, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large 10-12 inch skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil over high heat. Add about one fourth of the broccoli, just enough that it covers the bottom of the pan without crowding and in a single layer. Cook broccoli without moving it for about 3-4 minutes or until dark brown on 1 side only (leave the other side bright green).
- Add broccoli, cover again and cook until tender, about another 5-10 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and roughly purée soup with an immersion blender, leaving some larger chunks. Stir in lemon juice. Finish with grated Parmesan, a drizzle of Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil, black pepper and flaky sea salt.