- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons Butter olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Tahitian Vanilla balsamic
- 1 teaspoon brandy, optional
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, water, butter olive oil, lemon zest, vanilla balsamic and brandy if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- In a cast-iron or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.