- 1 lb. large uncooked, shelled shrimp
- 1 TBLSP Frantoio-Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 TBLSP Butter Olive Oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped Italian parsley, divided
- French bread
- Prehat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Toss them with the Frantoio-Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil, the paprika, salt and pepper. Spread them in a large baking dish and return them to the refrigerator.
- Heat the broth in a large saucepan over low heat.
- In a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan, heat the Butter Olive Oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic for about 2-3 minutes, just until they are soft and beginning to brown. Add the rice and stir thoroughly, making sure the rice is coated with the onions, garlic and butter. Cook the rice for 2 more minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, stirring and scraping the pan until the wine has evaporated.
- Incrementally, add the warm broth one ladle at a time, stirring frequently. When the liquid has been almost completely absorbed, add another ladle of liquid. Gradually adding the liquid to the rice allows the rice to release its starch and create its own tasty sauce. Don't rush this step. If the broth is evaporating very quickly or the rice is boiling hard, turn the heat down. The heat should just be at a gentle simmer. This stage of preparing the risotto will take about 20 minutes. After about 15 minutes, begin tasting the rice to see how far it has cooked. When the risotto is ready, the rice will be a bit chewy and have the consistency of thick porridge.
- For the last 5 minutes of cooking the risotto, put the pan of prepared shrimp in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are pink.
- When the risotto is ready, turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan and about 1/2 cup of the chopped Italian parsley. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, spread the risotto in pasta bowls, top with shrimp and and then a sprinkle of parsley.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty French bread, if desired.