- 1 very small head cauliflower, stem and leaves removed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- salt for cooking
- Kale Pesto
- 2 cups (packed) shredded kale, stems removed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Koroneiki Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
- 1-2 cloves garlic, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 TBSP chopped walnuts
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Steam the cauliflower until very soft or microwave until soft. Caution: don't boil the cauliflower. It will retain too much water.)
- Cover the cauliflower with paper towels and pat to remove any moisture or wrap in a towel and gently squeeze the moisture out. In a food processor, pulse until cauliflower is completely mashed. A potato ricer will also work.
- Remove the cauliflower mixture from the bowl. Measure out 1 cup packed mashed cauliflower and place back into food processor. (The remaining mash can be used for another recipe or season it with salt and pepper and a little EVOO and eat for lunch!)
- Add the egg yolk and 1 cup flour to the cauliflower in the food processor. Pulse until it becomes a ball of dough. If the dough is too sticky to work with, add a little more flour and mix again until the dough is workable.
- Sprinkle flour on a cutting board or pastry board. Roll your dough into ropes 3/4-inch thick. Cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces.
- If you want to make gnocchi that are pretty, roll the gnocchi back and forth over the tines of a fork. pressing gently as you do it.
- In a medium size pot, bring water to a boil. Add a little salt. Drop in the gnocchi and cook until they float to the surface (about 2 minutes). Scoop the gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Serve with kale pesto and Parmesan cheese.
- Add all pesto ingredients to a food processor. Pulse several minutes until it has a thick sauce consistency. At first it will be somewhat chunky, but after a few minutes it will break down and become more sauce-like in consistency. Depending on the type of kale used and your taste, you may want to add more of some of the ingredients such as the cheese, lemon, oil or walnuts.