- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, cut in half and then thinly sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1 zucchini
- 6 oz. green cabbage (can also use napa cabbage or bok choy)
- 4-6 fresh shiitake mushrooms or 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced
- 4 green onions cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 oz. fatty pork, thinly sliced
- 8-12 littleneck clams
- 8-12 mussels
- 8-12 prawns
- 6 oz. squid cut into bite-sized pieces. Don't cut too small as squid shrinks a lot when cooked.
- 2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Korean pepper flakes (gochugaru). Adjust to taste.
- 2 Tablespoons Chipotle Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 10 cups chicken or anchovy stock or plain water
- 4 servings (24-28 oz.) fresh jajangmyeon/udon noodles
- Bring a large pot to a boil. Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Prepare the pork and seafood
- Heat a wok or a large pot over high heat. Add the Chipotle Olive Oil or Fused Baklouti Green Chili Olive Oil, ginger, scallion, gochugaru and soy sauce and stir-fry for one minute
- Add the pork and stir-fry until the pork is almost cooked, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, cabbage, zucchini and mushrooms. Lightly salt and cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken stock (or anchovy broth or water) and boil until the vegetables are completely cooked.
- Add the seafood starting with the clams, which require more time to cook, followed by the mussels, prawns, and squid. Bring to a boil again and cook until the shells have opened. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the noodles, rinse in cold water, and drain.
- Place a serving of the noodles in a large soup bowl and spoon the soup on top. Serve while piping hot.