Sign Up to Get our Newletter and Recipes by Email
Fantastic olive oils....make sure you try the black truffle.....amazing....a little bit o' Heaven in a bottle!"
- Denise B.
It's a true pleasure to encourage people to visit your store!"
- Mary J.
Chicken and Mushroom Vol au Vent
An Olive Oil Recipe
- 8 puff pastry shells, either bought or homemade
- 1 to 1-1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 TBLSP Butter Olive Oil or Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, quartered, depending on size
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 TBLSP Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg beaten with 1 TBLSP water for pastry
- 1 teaspoon parsley (chopped, for garnish)
- for Poaching Chicken
- 1 onion
- 2-1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 2-quart saucepan. Add the onion halves and cover with chicken stock and wine. Season the liquid with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Immediately, turn heat to low. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let chicken sit in the poaching liquid for an additional 15 minutes. Remove chicken breasts from liquid and let rest about 15 minutes before dicing.
- Put 2 TBLSP Butter Olive Oil or Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and stir well. Add the wine, stirring into the mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Turn the heat to high. When mixture starts to simmer, decrease the heat and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes until the wine is reduced by half.
- Chop the chicken into small cubes and add to the wine and mushroom mixture and stir well. Turn off heat and let stand while preparing the cream sauce.
- In a large skillet, pour 2 TBLSP Butter Olive Oil (or Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil). Add the flour and stir well to form a roux. Continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the chicken stock, whisking well. Bring to a simmer and continue to stir and simmer until sauce thickens (1-2 minutes).
- Add the Dijon mustard and cream, whisking to blend all ingredients.
- Add the mushroom and chicken mixture to the cream sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer again and then reduce heat for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 4 minutes before filling the vols au vent.
- Fill the pastry shells with 2-3 teaspoons of chicken filling or more depending on size of shells. Place the small pastry lid on top as decoration.
- If pastry has cooled, return the filled vols au vent to a 375 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
- NOTE Vols au vent can be made the day before, in which case, after they are filled, return to a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.