- 1.5 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Arbequina or Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups of potatoes cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat. Heat 1 Tablespoon of Arquina or Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add chicken and sauté, stirring once or twice, until mostly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pot and add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the remaining curry powder and cook, stirring until fragrant but not browned. Add coconut milk, broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot and add peas. Increase heat to medium-high and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro and brown sugar.
- Serve immediately.