- 1/4 cup Picual EVOO
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 sprigs of basil
- 2 28 oz. cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- Finely ground pepper
- Heat oil in a mid-sized pot over medium heat.
- Cook onion, stirring occasionally until very soft (about 8-10 min)
- Add garlic and cook for min stirring occasionally until soft
- Stir in basil.
- Add tomatoes by crushing with hands then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and stir occasionally until sauce thickens (about 1 hour) and let cool.
- The sauce can be made one week ahead. Cover and chill or freeze up to 3 months