- 2 lbs. firm white boneless and skinless fish fillets such like tilapia, halibut, or cod,
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons mild flavored olive oil, such as Arbequina or Pendolino Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala spice (equal parts of cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, black or white peppercorns)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 small green, medium hot, peppers
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- canola oil for deep frying
- Roughly chop tomatoes and peppers and puree in food processor with coconut milk. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, 2 tablespoons of the Arbequina EVOO or olive oil of your choice, Garam Masala, curry powder, ground coriander
- Cut the cut fillets into 4-5 inch sections. In a medium size bowl, add the garlic, olive oil and spice mixture, along with the pieces of fish. Gently toss to coat and allow fish to marinate for up to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer fish to lightly oiled baking dish and bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes until firm on the outside but still slightly under-cooked inside. Reserve any remaining marinade and spices in bowl.
- Take fish out of the oven and set aside.
- In a deep heavy skillet, sauté onions in remaining Tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat until browned. Pour tomato/pepper/coconut milk puree into marinating bowl with leftover spices and garlic. Stir until all is well-combined.
- Pour mixture into hot skillet with onions. Simmer until slightly reduced. Add more spices at this time, if desired, stirring into the mixture well. Add fish to sauce, cover pan, and cook for an additional five minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Remove from heat immediately to prevent fish from overcooking, and serve over rice.