- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread
- 1/2 pound pork sausage, cooked and crumbled or 3 cups sautéed mushrooms
- 1 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- Make this dish vegetarian by substituting wild mushrooms for the pork sausage.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery, and poultry seasoning and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add chicken stock and simmer 2 minutes more.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread, onion-celery mixture, sausage, sage, oil, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss mixture well, being careful not to over-mix.
- Stuff turkey and cook until turkey is done or place stuffing in a buttered 9- by 13-inch casserole and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and heated throughout.