25 minutes minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mild olive oil such as Arbequina
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Butter Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 lb. baking apples, washed, peeled, cored, and sliced lengthwise
- In another bowl, mix buttermilk, egg, and olive oil to blend. Stir into cornmeal mixture just until evenly moistened. Spoon batter equally into muffin cups.
- In a bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add Organic Butter Olive Oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved and bubbly. Add apples and cook for about 5 minutes until they are just almost tender when pierced. Divide the apple mixture equally among 12 buttered muffin cups (1/2 cup capacity).
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes until tops are lightly browned and feel firm to the touch. At this point, run a knife between each muffin and and the muffin cup and invert over a baking sheet to remove muffins.
- Serve while still warm or at room temperature, apple side up.