- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. garlic-flavored processed cheese (cubed)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter Olive Oil
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups hot stock (shrimp, chicken or vegetables)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 1 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons California Garlic Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato diced
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- FOR THE GRITS
- In a large sauce pan over medium high heat, combine cream, water and hot stock; bring to gentle boil. Add Butter Olive Oil, salt and pepper. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly (so grits don't settle to bottom and scorch), until all are added. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, taking care not to scorch mixture. Add the cubed garlic cheese and incorporate by stirring.
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- Heat the California Garlic Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute garlic and tomatoes until tomatoes begin to soften. Stir in shrimp and lemon juice. Saute until shrimp are pink. Season with salt to taste. Spread grits on serving platter and pour shrimp mixture on top and serve.
- NOTE: For additional flavor place shells of shrimp in a saucepan and cover with water. Simmer over low heat for approximately 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat, strain broth and substitute shrimp broth for some of the hot stock.
- NOTE: If using quick cooking grits (not instant), reduce cream to 1/2 cup and reduce stock to 1 cup.