7 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 beef short ribs (about 4 lbs.)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 small green cabbage (about 1 lb.), quartered
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil
- 4 scallions (thinly sliced), optional
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a 4-6 quart crockpot, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper. Add the short ribs and carrots and arrange in a single layer. Lay the cabbage on top.
- Cook, covered, on high for 5-6 hours (or on low for 7-8 hours), until meat is tender and pulls away from the bone easily.
- Toast sesame seeds in small non-stick frying pan and set aside.
- Transfer the cabbage, short ribs, and carrots to plates. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid and discard.
- If the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon of water until smooth. Whisk into the cooking liquid and cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and vegetables and sprinkle with the scallions if you are using.