6 hours 0 minutes
Slow-Cooked Chicken Mole:
- 1 dried ancho chili, stem removed
- 3 dried guajillo chili, stem removed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup almonds 3 tomatoes, seeded, or one can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 oz. 70% dark chocolate, grated
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Olive Oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Balsamic,
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- Optional, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, chopped cilantro, and 1/4 cup diced red onions for garnish
Directions: Mole Sauce can be prepared ahead of time!
For the Mole Sauce:
- Preheat slow cooker to sauté and drizzle with 1 tbsp. Chipotle Olive Oil.
- Add dried chilies, raisins, almonds, tomatoes, onions, garlic, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Cook until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add broth and stir in chocolate.
- Reduce setting to slow cook, cover, and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove mole sauce from the slow cooker
- Blend with blender or food processor until smooth and set aside.
For the Chicken:
- Season chicken with 1 tbsp. chipotle oil, salt, and cumin.
- Add Chipotle Olive Oil to a non-stick skillet and crisp on both sides until golden brown.
- Deglaze with chocolate balsamic.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add pureed Mole sauce
- Cover and cook for 3 hours until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Serve chicken with rice.
- Optionally, top with sesame seeds, cilantro, and onions.