- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Olive Oil
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Heat the Chipotle Olive Oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan, crumble it, and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
- Pour in chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are tender.
- SERVING VARIATIONS
- Add smoked ham hocks after collards are cooked.
- Add slices of Kielbasa, linguisa, or any other hot links.