- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Butter Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, brown sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the flour mixture. Either using a food processor or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture is grainy and crumbly.
- Stir in the egg. Add about 2/3 cup of the buttermilk and Butter Olive Oil and stir in. Add the rest of the buttermilk until the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute or two until the dough is smooth. Pat the dough out with your fingers about 1/4-inch thick and cut into whatever shape you’d like. (Don’t use a glass to cut rounds, or you’ll compress the edges of the cakes and they won’t rise properly.)
- Place the cakes on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on racks.