- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 qt. chicken, vegetable or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup Arbosana Olive Oil
- 3/4 lb. shitake caps, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pamigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cook the barley for 15 minutes in a medium pot of salted boiling water. Drain and cool slightly.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil; reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, heat the Arbosana Olive Oil. Add the mushrooms and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the mushrooms are softened and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the barley and stir to coat.
- Add 1 cup of the warm stock and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until the stock is nearly absorbed.
- Continue adding the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions, until the barley is al dente and suspended in a creamy sauce (about 25 minutes).
- Stir in butter and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.