- Unsalted butter, for greasing the baking pan
- 1 cup flour, plus more for dusting the baking pan
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon Fused Fennel Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a little butter to grease the inside of an 8-inch cake pan, then dust with flour, shaking off the excess flour.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the milk, stirring until the batter is smooth.
- Add the fennel seeds to the batter and mix in well.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake springs back lightly when pressed.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool (in pan) before cutting. Top with whipped cream or fresh fruit, if desired.