- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon Marteña Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water and let stand 5 - 10 minutes.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the Marteña Extra Virgin Olive Oil, blending until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 cup of the buttermilk, mixing well. Add the yeast and remaining buttermilk and mix thoroughly.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times.
- Store in refrigerator in an airtight container. Biscuit dough will keep up to one week. Take out the amount of dough needed and roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter and brush with melted butter, if desired. Bake in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- NOTE: Biscuits baked on a baking sheet will rise higher and brown more evenly than those baked in a pan with sides.