- 3-4 large cubed potatoes - Yukon or Russet
- 1 large can or 2 smaller ones red pinto or kidney beans
- 2 beef shanks
- 2 big carrots, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Chipotle Olive Oil
- 2-3 (12-inch) lengths of linguica (1-1/2 inch cuts, then sliced vertically in half
- 1 large bunch, washed, cut up kale. (Old-fashioned Portuguese kale from the garden is best.)
- 1-2 small dried red peppers, crushed
- After vegetables are cooked, add the kale and Chipotle Olive Oil, When adding kale, keep pot boiling hard. Let it boil until kale is almost tender.
- Add the drained beans, potatoes, and linguica.
- Lower heat a bit and simmer until potatoes are cooked and flavors meld.
- Add water only if needed. The soup is best served on the thick side. Add salt to taste
- Serve with red wine, sour dough French bread and real butter.
- Open cans of beans, wash thoroughly and drain. Set aside.
- After meat is cooked, add carrots, onion, garlic, celery, red peppers and saute until vegetables are tender.
- In a soup pot, cook the beef shanks in water to cover meat for at least an hour.