- 2 boned and skinned raw chicken breast halves, finely chopped
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, with all the moisture squeezed out
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sherry Reserva Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pkg. gyoza wrappers
- 2 Tablespoons Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- In a large bowl, combine the finely chopped raw chicken, the spinach, carrot, cornstarch, green onion, ginger, salt, Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil and the Sherry Reserva Vinegar. Mix until well-blended. Place about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in the center of the gyoza wrapper. Fold the wrapper over the filling and in the middle of the wrap pinch the top front side to the back. Holding the gyoza in your left hand, make 2 or 3 in-facing pleats to the right of the pinched area with your right hand. Press the top of the pleats to the flat back which will remain unpleated,
- Then make 2-3 in-facing pleats to the left of the pinched area and press the top of the pleats to the flat back of the gyoza.
- These can also be made in a gyoza maker available in some Asian food markets and the machine will automatically crimp the edges for you.
- At this point you can continue with the cooking of the gyoza or you can freeze them for future use.
- To prepare the gyoza, heat 1 tablespoon of Arbequina EVOO in a 12-inch, heavy, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Lightly brown the flat side of the gyoza. After browning, pour 1 cup of chicken broth into the skillet and cover. Continue to cook over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Uncover and continue cooking until the liquid is completely absorbed and the gyoza are golden brown. Serve with the Dipping Sauce.
- For the Dipping Sauce, mix all the ingredients together and serve in a small bowl (custard size).