- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, or from a mix, such as Aunt Jemima's.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of any good olive oil, such as Frantoio-Leccino, Hojiblanca or Galega
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- Oil, butter or clarified margarine for frying
- In a medium bowl, mix together the first 7 ingredients (cornmeal through eggs) until well combined.
- Heat the frying oil or butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop about 2 Tablespoons of the batter into the hot skillet. Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp on one side and then turn each of them over to brown the other side.
- Remove each hoecake and put on a paper towel to drain.
- Serve while still hot. Hoecakes can be eaten by themselves or drizzled with syrup or crumbled into buttermilk and served as a dessert.