- 2 eggplants
- 2 Tablespoons Arbequina or Portuguese Cobrancosa EVOO
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 12 oz. lean leg of lamb, ground
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 onion, sliced decoratively
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- fresh cilantro sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Halve the eggplants lengthwise and scoop out most of the flesh and discard. Place the eggplant shells side by side in a large slightly greased ovenproof dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet and fry the onion for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown. Stir in the ginger, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, salt, and ground coriander. Add the tomato, lower the heat and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the ground lamb and continue to stir-fry over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring and turning until the lamb is browned. Add the bell peppers and fresh cilantro and mix in well.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into the eggplant shells and brush the edges of the shells with the remaining oil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through and browned on the top.
- Garnish with the onion, tomatoes and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve with a green salad or cooked rice, if desired.