- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Organic Butter Olive Oil
- 9 ounces of bittersweet chocolate
- Combine the chocolate and Organic Butter Olive Oil in the top of a double boiler. Fill the bottom pan about 1/2 way with water and bring to a boil. Put the upper bowl over the water and slowly melt the chocolate. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form and hold. Remove the mixture from the bowl and place aside.
- Clean the bowl thoroughly and place the egg yolks into the washed bowl and beat at high speed, gradually adding the remaining sugar. Continue beating until the mixture triples in volume, all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is a light yellow. Add the chocolate-Organic Olive Oil mixture and beat until everything is thoroughly blended.
- Add the flour and beat at low speed for about 10 seconds. While the mixer is still running, add the egg whites. When thoroughly combined, detach the bowl, scrape down the sides and bottom to ensure all the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x1-inch cake pan. Fill to the rim and level the top. Place the cake pan into a deeper dish or roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the deeper pan until it reaches about 1/2 an inch up the cake pan. Be sure not to get water on the cake mixture. Cover the deep pan with aluminum foil, leaving about 2 inches above the pan to allow for the cake to rise.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes. The cake will swell about 1-2 inches above the cake pan rim and then deflate upon cooling.
- When cake has cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.