- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup Koroneiki, California Organic Arbequina, or other mild flavored Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more if needed to enhance the taste
- Fleur de sel or flaky sea salt, for serving
- Using a whisk or hand mixer, beat the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl until pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil in a steady stream and continue beating until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add milk, cream, vanilla, and salt and beat until well-combined.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Dish into small bowls and sprinkle with fleur de sel or flaky sea salt. (optional, but I love the flavors of sweet and salty together)