- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- *1/2 lb. chicken hearts, halved and rinsed
- *1/2 lb. chicken livers, rinsed and roughly chopped
- *NOTE: if you're not fond of hearts and livers, you can substitute chicken thighs and more breast meat for them.
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro and Roasted Onion Olive Oil
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh pitas
- Amba* and pickled peppers for serving
- *NOTE: Amba is a pickled mango and turmeric condiment found on Amazon or in any Middle Eastern store.
- Combine the spices (turmeric, peppercorns, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg) in a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add chicken breast cubes and cook until browned but not cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove chicken cubes, place in a bowl, and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium high heat and add chicken hearts and cook, flipping until browned but not cooked through (again, 2-3 minutes). Place in bowl with the chicken cubes.
- Repeat the same procedure with the chicken livers.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and add the Cilantro and Roasted Onion Olive Oil. Add onions and cook, stirring until onions are soft and slightly charred, about 4 minutes.
- Add the reserved spices, chicken and chicken parts, seasoning with salt. Cook and stir occasionally until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- For serving, cut slits in tops of the pitas. Fill pitas with chicken mixture and top each sandwich with the amba and pickled peppers.