- 1 tbsp Manzanillo Olive Oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- Two 14oz cans plum tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- sprig fresh thyme
- 1 stock cube
- 8oz long-grain or basmati rice
- salt and ground black pepper
- For the rice, heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onions over a gentle heat until translucent.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, red pepper, and tomato purée, then season with salt freshly ground black pepper and the cayenne pepper. Add curry powder, bay leaf, and thyme, then pour in 19 oz of water and crumble in the stock cube.
- Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20–30 minutes.
- Rinse the rice well to remove excess starch, then add it to the tomato mixture.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 25–30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve the Jollof with fried plantains and a crisp green salad.