about 210 minutes
- 1/4 cup Galega Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach
- 1-1/2 lb. walnuts
- 2 cups Pomegranate Balsamic Condimento reduction or 2 cups pomegranate molasses.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- sliced red onion, to garnish
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Work in batches and don't crowd the chicken. Cook turning until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add turmeric and onion to the skillet and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stir in 8 cups of water, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, skimming off any oil that floats to the top, until light brown and thickened (about 2 hours).
- Meanwhile, process walnuts in a food processor into a very fine paste, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a 6-qut. Dutch oven and heat over low heat. Cook until fragrant, about 15 minutes.
- Add the balsamic reduction or pomegranate molasses and sugar. Cook until thickened once more, about 25 minutes. Add reserved chicken and onion-spinach mixture. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with red onion slices.