For each pancake, about 8 minutes
- Pancake Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon doenjang (Korean fermented soybean paste), available in Asian markets and also on Amazon
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups ice-cold club soda
- 3 bunches thin green onions cut into 2-inch pieces. Use both green and white parts. (about 7 cups).
- 1 cup Biancolilla Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dipping Sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 Teaspoon Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Japanese Sesame Oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk together.
- In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients: soy sauce, garlic, doenjang (Korean fermented soybean paste) and egg yolks. Whisk together. Add this mixture and the club soda to the flour mixture. Whisk until well-mixed and then place the bowl in a freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Make the dipping sauce in a medium bowl: Mix the soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, and sesame oil thoroughly and set aside.
- Take the pancake batter out of the freezer and fold in the green onions. If the batter looks too thick, add more club soda, a little at a time, and mix well.
- Before frying the pancakes, line a baking sheet with paper towels and put it next to the stove.
- Using a 10 or 12-inch nonstick frying pan, heat about 1/2 cup of the oil over high heat. Once you see it shimmering, add 1 cup of the batter to the center of the pan. Use a spatula to spread the batter to form a 7-inch pancake. Don't let the batter touch the sides. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes until the bottom is set. Slide a spatula gently under the pancake and tip the frying pan so that some of the hot oil runs underneath the pancake. Continue cooking the same side for an additional 2-3 minutes until the bottom is crispy and deep golden brown.
- Flip the pancake carefully so the oil doesn't splash and cook for 3-4 minutes more until the second side is also crispy brown.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and let the paper towels absorb any excess oil.
- Place the frying pan back over high heat, adding 2-3 Tablespoons of the Biancolilla EVOO, if needed. Follow the same directions as used for the 1st pancake and repeat the process until you have used all the batter.
- To keep the pancakes warm and crispy, set them in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven. Cut each pancake into pieces and serve with the dipping sauce on the side.