10 minutes minutes
usually 4-6 people
- Garlic cloves (peeled and washed), as many as you feel like making
- 1 part sugar
- 1 part rice wine vinegar
- 3 parts soy sauce
- Put the garlic cloves in a glass jar.
- Fill the jar with water until water covers 2/3 of the garlic. Pour the water in a measuring cup. That's the amount of soy sauce you'll need.
- Use 3 parts of soy sauce to 1 part vinegar and 1 part sugar. (For example, if you use 1 cup of soy sauce, you'll use 1/3 cup of vinegar and 1/3 cup of sugar.)
- Bring the soy, vinegar, and sugar to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- When the sauce is cool, pour it over the garlic in the glass jar, making sure the garlic is completely covered with the soy, vinegar, sugar mixture.
- Store at room temperature for at least 3 weeks or more. Don't cheat. These are best when they have been in pickling mixture for quite some time.
- NOTE: The garlic cloves can be eaten as a side dish, usually with grilled meats, or if you slice them, for flavoring rice or noodle dishes.