- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut thinly or pounded to 1/4 inch
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 to 1-1/2 Tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil, divided
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, leftover or instant
- 4 sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Marinate the chicken in the Italian salad dressing for at least 4 hours and as much as overnight
- Pour 1 Tablespoon of the Garlic Olive Oil into a large skillet and heat to medium high heat. Cook the onions for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and mashed potatoes. Remove from the heat. Stir until well-mixed.
- Spread the remaining oil around a 9x13 baking pan or use cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with lemon slices.
- Pour the crumbs onto a plate. Place on chicken breast on the crumbs. Spread the potato/tomato mixture over each chicken breast, leaving a 1/4 inch border all around the mixture. Roll up the chicken breasts, secure with a toothpick and roll in breadcrumbs until all sides are coated.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the remaining Garlic Olive Oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook the chicken, turning only one time, until brown on each side. While the chicken is cooking, repeat the process above with the other chicken breasts. As each piece is finished cooking, place that chicken breast in the baking pan on top of the lemon slices.
- Top each chicken roll with a tomato slice and pour lemon juice over all. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice each chicken roll into 3-4 pieces and serve with sauce in the baking pan.