- 3 lb. chicken, cut up
- 2 quarts buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons Baklouti or Chipotle Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons crushed garlic
- 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ground dried sage
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups oil for frying
- Rinse the chicken and cut the breast halves into 2 pieces, horizontally. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Combine the buttermilk, Baklouti or Chipotle Olive Oil and garlic in a large zipped plastic bag. Add chicken pieces, squeeze the air out of the bag, zip the bag shut and marinate for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- When you're ready to cook, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat until the oil is very hot but not yet smoking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour through garlic powder).
- Remove 2-3 pieces of chicken at a time from the marinade and press into the flour mixture until thoroughly coated. Shake off excess flour.
- Fry 2-3 pieces of coated chicken at a time in the hot oil until the crust is golden brown (about 3-5 minutes). Chicken meat will still be pink inside.
- Drain on paper towels and place in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Good hot or cold.