- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup coarse ground cornmeal (aka grits)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- Bring 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon kosher salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Pour in the grits, stir thoroughly and let the mixture come back to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to as low as possible.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes to make sure the bottom isn't sticking or burning.
- Taste. If grits aren't yet tender, a little more water, cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- When tender, beat in the butter, stir in the cheese and season with pepper.
- Place the warm grits on a serving dish and top with the masala shrimp mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- NOTE: Because the ingredient list was so long, this recipe is done in 3 parts. If you don't see all the parts, type Masala Shrimp into the search box on our home page and all three parts should appear.