- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 finely cut clove of garlic or use garlic powder
- 1/4 cup any fine olive oil. If you like it hot, use our Red Cayenne Chili Oil.
- 2 cups coarsely ground beef or veal (I use ground turkey)
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 Tablespoons chile powder
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 can large pitted olives (drained)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Cornmeal Mush
- 4 cups of cold water
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Sauté onions, garlic and meat in olive oil of your choice for 5 minutes or until meat is cooked and onions are soft. Add water and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes.
- Combine chili powder and flour. Add a little water and mix to a paste. Stir paste into boiling mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Add olives, cheese and let come to a boil. Set aside.
- Mix the cornmeal, cold water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Turn down the heat a bit so it doesn't bubble out of the pot. When the mixture is thick but still spreadable, take it off the stove.
- Spread the chili/meat mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole.
- Spread the cornmeal mixture on top of the meat mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread and a salad for a scrumptious fall dinner.