- 1 ½ pounds navy beans
- 3 tablespoons Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- 1 large peeled and small diced yellow onion
- 3 peeled medium diced carrots
- 4 medium diced celery stalks
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Condimento
- 2 pounds of medium diced ham
- 1 ham bone
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 parmesan rind (optional)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- fresh thyme for garnish (optional)
Add the beans to a large container and fill it with water until it is covering the beans by about 4 inches. Cover and set aside at room temperature overnight or for up to 24 hours. Drain, and set aside.
Place the Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil in a large pot over low heat and cook the onions for 30-40 minutes or until well caramelized. Stir often.
Next, add in the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook over low-medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Deglaze with wine and cook it until there are only about 2 to 3 tablespoons of liquid left in the pot.
Add in the ham, ham bone, chicken stock, parmesan rind, salt and pepper, and bay leaf, cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 90-120 minutes stirring occasionally until beans are cooked and the soup is thickened naturally.
Finish by stirring in the vinegar, and serve.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, if you want