- 1 lb. wide egg noodles
- 5 extra large eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup raisins, craisins, dried chopped apricots or the like
- Coratina Gran Cru Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Berries or other fresh fruit, chopped if necessary. (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 by 13 by 2-1/4 inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drizzle some Coratina EVOO into water and cook the noodles until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir in the ricotta and the fruit of your choice. Add the drained noodles.
- Pour the noodle mixture into the baking dish. Place the filled dish in a larger pan and pour in enough hot water in the larger dish to come halfway up the sides of the kugel dish. Cover the dishes with a single layer of foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 45 minutes or until the custard is just set.
- Top with berries or some other fresh fruit (optional). Serve while still warm.
- NOTE: A kugel is just a baked casserole with a starch (usually noodles, eggs and fat). It can be savory or sweet. This recipe is sweet and used as a dessert.