for cake and icing about 50 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coffee (I use decaf)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Chocolate Balsamic Condimento
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- GLOSSY CHOCOLATE ICING
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 Tablespoons)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dark Chocolate Balsamic Condimento.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8x2-inch round pans with cooking spray. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt in a large bowl. Combine coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Divide batter between pans. Bake approximately 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool at least 15 minutes, then invert onto a rack. Leave cakes upside down to cool completely.
- Make the frosting while the cake is baking, as it needs to cool.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan on a low heat. Stir in sugar, cocoa, and salt. Mix will be grainy and thick.
- In a large measuring cup, mix heavy cream and sour cream until smooth. Gradually add it to the chocolate mix. Cook on med-low for about 5 minutes. DO NOT BOIL. Turn off heat. Add Dark Chocolate Balsamic Condimento.
- Cool icing to room temperature, about 2-3 hours. Stir periodically.
- Place one cake round on serving plate. Ice the top (this will serve as the bottom of the cake). Top with the other round and then ice as normal.
- Serve at room temperature.