- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup sweet, delicate EVOO such as Manzanillo, Barnea or Arbequina
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- FOR THE GLAZE>
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-cup Bundt pan or 12x18 inch pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sugar and oil. Blend in vanilla and pumpkin and then beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread batter into prepared pan of your choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze until smooth and lump free. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes and then invert it onto a serving plate. While the cake is still warm, drizzle the glaze over the cake evenly. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature.