- Sour cream as needed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, parsley, or dill
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. wide egg noodles or 1 lb. egg tagliatelle
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped or grated
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sweet paprika or smoked sweet paprika
- 2 Fresno chile peppers, thinly sliced
- 8 large portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped, wiped clean and chopped into bit-size pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup Frantoio/Leccino Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Garlic Olive Oil
- Add the Fresno peppers, onion, carrot, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper and cook to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the vegetables and stir for 1 minute. Add the stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and roasted red peppers. Simmer a few minutes for the flavors to combine, then cool completely and store for a future meal.
- Heat the olive oil you have chosen in a large Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium high heat. Brown the mushrooms for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- Char the peppers on the stovetop or under the broiler with the oven door cracked allowing the steam to escape. Place the charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to cool. Scrape or peel the skin from the peppers, seed them and slice them thinly.
- Reheat the mushrooms and sauce over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the egg noodles or egg pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Toss with butter and herbs.
- Stir a few spoonfuls of sour cream into the paprikash and serve in shallow bowls on a bed of noodles or pasta.