60-120 minutes to prepare, and marinating time is 120-1440 minutes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. pork loin, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 16 oz. pkg. of thick sliced bacon
- Wood skewers
- 4 oz. pineapple juice
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup Red Cayenne Chili Oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 habanero pepper
- Canned chiles & adobo, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Put the pineapple juice, canned chiles in adobo, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, red onions, Red Cayenne Chili Oil (Extra Hot), cilantro, garlic, and habanero pepper into blender. Blend it.
- Put cubed meat and marinade in covered container or plastic bag and marinate the meat for 2-24 hours.
- Preheat oven or smoker to 250 degrees.
- Carefully cut off pineapple rind and remove all eyes, leaving as much juicy pineapple as possible. Cut skinned pineapple in half. Cut out an approximate 2-inch core from both halves, leaving as much edible pineapple as possible and cutting out the hardened core. This indentation will become the pocket for your pork pieces.
- Pack the cut out cores of both halves with as much of the marinated meat as possible. Use skewers to connect the halves back together.
- Delicately construct a bacon weave blanket. (see video below)
- Lay the the pineapple on top of the bacon weave blanket and wrap the sides around and under the pineapple. Use toothpicks or skewers to anchor the blanket around the pineapple.
- Bake or slow smoke your pineapple pig until the meat in center of swinapple reaches a temperature of 143 degrees. As the pineapple pig roasts, baste it periodically with pineapple juice.
- Once the internal temperature of the meat reaches 143 degrees remove your pineapple pig from the heat source. The internal temperature of the pork will increase another couple of degrees while resting. Pork is perfect at 145 degrees.
- Slice carefully and serve.
- Copy this URL into your browser to watch Grizzly Fare simplify the entire process: