- 2 cups of uncooked black beans
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 garlic clove
- ham hock
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons California Garlic Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (each)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- Place beans in a large pot or bowl. Cover with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in large pot and fill with 8 cups of water, add ham hock and cook on low heat until beans are soft. Sauté onions and garlic in the Butter Olive Oil and add to the beans.
- Add all other ingredients to the beans except the sherry. Cook on low heat for 3 hours, until the ham hock is cooked.
- Remove ham hock, remove meat from bone and return meat to the beans. Add sherry.
- Simmer until hot. May be served with garnish of shredded cheese if desired.
- * To make a thicker soup, place 1/2-3/4 of the cooked bean mixture in a food processor and blend until nearly smooth. Pour it back into the rest of the bean mixture and mix together thoroughly for a nice thick soup.