- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each ) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup butter olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk in a large bowl. Add the oil, sugar, pumpkin, 2 eggs, salt, and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour as needed to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead until smooth and elastic (about 6-8 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch the dough down & urn onto a lightly floured cutting board, then divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls & then roll each ball into a 10-inch rope. Tie into a knot and tuck ends under. Place knots 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled again (about 30 minutes).
- In a small bowl, beat water and remaining egg & brush over rolls. If using sesame or oppy seeds. sprinkle them over the tops. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown, at 350°. Remove from pans to wire racks.