- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Chipotle Olive Oil
- 1 pound portobello mushroom caps (about 5 medium), gills removed, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- Four 8 to 10-inch wide whole wheat tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Combine the barbecue sauce, tomato paste, vinegar and chipotle in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until the onion and mushrooms are beginning to brown, 5-7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the barbecue sauce; stir to combine. Wipe out the pan.
- Place torlillas on a work surface. Spread 3 tablespoons cheese on half of each tortilla and top with 1/4 of the filling (about 1/2 cup). Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3-4 minutes total cooking time. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve.