- 2 Tablespoons California Garlic Oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works great)
- One 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- One 14 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Toppings (all optional....but delicious): tortilla chips, diced avocado, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, pico de gallo
- Heat the California Garlic Oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and add the chopped onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté it for a short time until fragrant. Be careful not to burn it as the garlic cooks quickly.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in half the chicken stock and stir until completely combined and there are no lumps remaining.
- Add the rest of the chicken stock and stir quickly to combine.
- Add in the chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, tomatoes, salt and cumin, and stir until combined. Continue stirring occasionally until simmering.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the soup does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Slowly stir in the cheese until combined and melted. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve immediately with any of the toppings you have chosen.