- 1/4 cup Feta cheese
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup of Arbequina, Hojiblanca, or Ultra Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pinch of paprika
- 1 cup of green or black lentils
- 4 cups water (not salted)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons Arbequina Olive Oil
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Peel the butternut squash and sweet potatoes and cut them in small cubes, approximately 1/2-inch size. Place the cubes in a casserole dish.
- When the squash and sweet potatoes are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool to room temperature.
- Add 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 Tablespoon of cumin, 2 teaspoons of salt, and a pinch of paprika. Mix thoroughly, cover with foil and place in oven for 30-45 minutes, until the vegetables are done but still firm enough to retain their shape.
- While the vegetables are baking, cook the lentils. Rinse them and put them, along with 4 cups of cold water, in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. The lentils should be soft. Drain them.
- Prepare the dressing: In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and cumin. Finally, gently fold all the ingredients together, including the Feta cheese and green onion.
- Bacon can be substituted for the Feta cheese, if desired. Both versions should be served at room temperature for the best flavor.